Thursday, December 13, 2012

It's the most favorite COOKIE of the year!

Today I made my all-time favorite cookies.
Now, I know that I mentioned over in this post that Chocolate chip cookies were my favorite, and that is mostly true. Like how Westley was mostly dead. But not.


So, my favorite cookies- are my favorite. But, they only come once a year. Okay, maybe twice- depending on how many times we make them, but they are only made during Christmas time. They are STARLIGHT SUGAR CRISPS.
We would make these cookies at least twice a Christmas, and they are a family tradition and a favorite. No Christmas is right without them.

And oh my, they are amazing. And flaky. And vanilla-sugary good. And have NO SUGAR (Okay, I feel a bit fake saying that- it is true that there is NO sugar in the dough, but they are rolled in sugar- like instead of rolling them out on flour, its sugar. So, still pretty healthy, right? Right).


But, I will admit, they require some work. And I do admit, they don't seem like much at first. But trust me, they get addictive fast. Apparently when my dad first tried them (the cookies come from my moms side), he described them as a sort of mexican pastry.
I just call them CHRISTMAS.

(Also, I forgot to take pictures while I was actually making the dough. So sorry. But that is the easy part- the hard part is actually rolling them and making them part. So there you go!)


STEP 1. 

(Again, sorry- no pictures).
Make the dough. Basically it entails combining flour, salt- then cutting in butter. Then blend eggs, sour cream (shocker), vanilla and yeast (that you do need to prepare before). And you mix it all. See recipe bellow.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.



Step 2.

(This is where it gets tricky).
Make sugar/vanilla mix (see recipe below)

Step 3

(This is where it gets REAL tricky)


 Divide dough in half.
On a board/counter/surface of your choosing, spread 1/2 c. vanilla sugar. Roll out one half of the dough to a 16x8" rectangle.

My mom always used a regular school ruler. But, I didn't have one on hand. So, to the sewing machine I went!


Don't be too worried about it being a perfect rectangle. It get's more even as you fold and roll more times.


Step 4. 

Sprinkle rolled out dough with 1 Tbsp of vanilla sugar.


Step 5
Fold the dough into thirds. 


Make sense? Kinda like a letter.

Step 6

Turn 1/4 way around and repeat steps 2-6 two more times. (Aka roll out and fold two more times).

Like I said, by this time your dough will be getting pretty rectangle by its own- but will also get harder to roll out!

Step 7

For one last time, roll out the dough to another 16x8" rectangle, about 1/4" thick. Cut the dough into 4x1" strips. 

I know not all these are cut through, but you get the idea, right?

Just make them all separate strips.


Step 8

Twist each strip as best you can and place securely on an un-greased cookie sheet.

Notice all those layers? That is what you want!

I am very proud of this picture. I am working on my photography skills- and so far, this little guy is the best I got.

We always packed them tightly on a sheet. They will rise/grow and touch- just be careful and remove them quickly after taking out of the oven.

Step 9


Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden. 

Or, you can store the cookie dough for up to 4 days in the fridge. 

Makes 5 dozen twists.





Starlight Sugar Crisps

1 pkg dry yeast in 1/4 c. very warm water
3 3/4 c. flour
1 c. butter
1/2 c. sour cream
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 beaten eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Vanilla Sugar
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla


Directions
Sift together flour and salt in mixing bowl. Cut in butter until particles are size of small peas. Blend in eggs, sour cream, vanilla and softened yeast. Mix thoroughly. Cover and chill at least two hours.
Combine sugar and vanilla.
Roll out half of chilled dough on pastry cloth or a board that has been sprinkled with about 1/2 c. of vanilla sugar. Roll out to a 16x8" rectangle. Sprinkle with about 1 Tbsp. more vanilla sugar.
Fold one end of dough over center. Fold other end over to make three layers. Turn 1/4 way around and repeat rolling and folding twice, sprinkling board and dough with additional vanilla sugar as needed.
Rol out to a 16x8" rectangle about 1/4" thick. Cut dough into 4x1" strips. Twist each strip 2 or 3 times. Place on un-greased baking sheet. Repeated with remaining dough.
Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden brown.



4 comments:

  1. First of all, +10 points for Princess Bride reference that WASN'T strained. :D
    Secondly, I love cookies. Bakeries with cookie displays entrance me. I've never had cookies like these before, so I'm definitely intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sugar crisps look delicious!! I've never heard of them before but they look delicious!! :)

    I hope you are having a lovely week my dear and thank you so much for linking up to last week's Aloha Friday Blog Hop.

    If you have time, we'd love to have you come back and link up to the Aloha Friday Blog Hop if you haven't already!

    Aloha,

    Jean {What Jean Likes}

    ReplyDelete