Friday, December 21, 2012

Catch That!

Have you guys seen/heard/watched the NRA's words about the shooting from Connecticut?


I know it is getting lots of press. Good and bad.
Good from those who want to keep guns, 
and bad from those who are a bit more liberal and want to get rid of them.
With statements like, 
"NRA wants Armed Police in US schools"
It can come off a little intrusive and worrisome.
But I agree with it.

The argument he is making here, is that we have bodyguards for so many things.
The President.
Banks.
Airports.
Sport Games.
But not schools? Not for our children who we cherish so much? Doesn't it seem like our priorities are a little skewed?

That is what he thought.

I am sure we all have our personal views on gun ownership.
I know it is all I have been hearing about from my husband for the past, well, week. 
I believe in the Constitution
I believe in protecting my family. 
And it is stupid that people in this country ruin that.
It is horrible that they can't get help. 
That social issues turn into gun issues.
That now, I have to start thinking about private schools, instead of public schools.



I love this girl. Oh so much.
I hate that someone could want to hurt her.
That I can't just worry about her not stubbing a toe, burning her finger or breaking a bone, but so much more.
I hate that I have to worry about how I am going to protect her from it.
Mostly, I hate that she has to grow up in this sort of world.





What do we do in this age of living?

7 comments:

  1. Honestly, having been through a million private schools, that is so not even the question. MAYBE homeschooling, but even then, can we really change our lives that much because of something that MIGHT happen and probably NEVER will? It's just not worth it. I say, keep on living, and pack heat while you do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there are more reasons than this that we are discussing private school. Joe has been anti-public school since we met, especially depending on which state we live in, but they are all pretty much messed up now. Joe never even learned long division, and just how little you actually learn and how monitored teachers as, we like the idea of a charter school/private school or homeschool better. Especially with the new reading changes, it upsets me- and we want our children to get good educations. It all matters on where we live though ultimately.

      Delete
  2. Getting in a car every day is more dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been against homeschooling, but the more I look at the world around me, the more I am tempted to do it. I'm currently about 85% against public schools, but we'll see how that changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to homeschool my kids...I want them to get all the proper socializing and just general skills you need as a kid, but I am not liking how public schools are turning out, but it frustrates me that there is a resource- but it has become so, bad, which makes me have to pay for better schooling. But I guess thats what parenthood is?

      Delete
  4. My mother in law was talking about how when they lived in Japan, the subway that 7 year old Garth was riding home on from school was bombed by poison gas bombs. Again, when they lived in DC and the sniper was at large, she would always run whenever outside- like running with her two infants into the grocery store from the parking lot- . She told me that throughout all the scary things that had happened, you can't let it scare you out of living your life. Bad things happen no matter what, take what precautions you can, but just keep praying and living!

    This is her inspired words, not mine, but I take comfort in it. :) I don't know if there are enough police officers to put them in all the schools! :/ (So many schools here already have them anyways, but that's because...yeah... Viva Las Vegas.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I totally understand that statement. Clearly I am not going to lock myself in my house all day. I just feel like I need to take precautions to keep my family safe, you know? Like how she would run- that was a precaution. And the world has changed so much. I just look at it as a more proactive version of "food storage". =] I know the idea of police is scary, and who knows if it would do anything, but it would create more jobs!

      Delete