Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Art of Homemaking: Chocolate Chip Cookie Test

TIPS TO BETTER A CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE RECIPE

As part of this blog, I want to start 'real' homemaking. You know, making as much as I can- like bread, crafts, furniture- etc. So, I will have the occasional section of my journey and finding under, "The Art of Homemaking"- just an FYI.

So, I LOVE chocolate chip cookies. I LOVE them with milk. I love dunking. Chocolate Chip Cookies + milk are basically my un-official favorite desert/treat. So, part of my QUEST, calling and duty in life is to find THE PERFECT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE. I love making chocolate chip cookies. You always have the ingredients on hand (well, pretty much), and they are so easy and convenient to make. Normally I will make a batch a week (or so)- bake 9 cookies, and freeze the dough for later, whenever we want a few. It's amazing. PLUS, I am pretty sure that chocolate chip cookies are the one food item that I actually like my own rather than anyone else's.  
So, win, win WIN! 
Ya.
Moving on.
So, the perfect chocoalte chip cookie. I already have it in the works. Ultimately, it will be a full on dissertation (no lie). So, look out for my book on this- because it is a passion (everyone is entitled to their crazy passions, right?).

*DISCLAIMER: I have to give credits to my wonderful sister, Mauren. Heard of hear? She goes by Mo, Erin, Mimi, Sister Keelin, etc.... she is pretty Legend (wait for it)... and this post is basically all her thoughts and ideas, I am just stealing them and publishing them. SO, real credit needs to go to her. Oh... DARY.*

Anyways, onto the CHOCOLATE CHIP TEST.
Ultimately, my sister and her companion on her mission set out to find my same goal (ish). And this is what they decided make any basic chocolate chip cookie recipe better:

1. Cut the butter in half.
2. Cut the white sugar in half.
3. Double the brown sugar.
4. Add more flour.
5. Mix by hand (using an electric mixer causes you to over mix).


Simple, right?
And I promise that any basic chocolate chip cookie recipe will be SO MUCH BETTER with these tips (not the mention HEALTHIER too).

So, I decided to document the proof in what I like to call

THE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE TEST


Supplies, so pretty arranged for you guys!

The recipe (I used ghirardelli chocolate chips and just the recipe on the back).

For the first batch, I followed the recipe as it said exactly.
These are the results:
Mixing in the process

Dry ingredients set aside, LIKE A PRO!


The finished product
(Turned out SUPER sticky)

375 degrees, 9 minutes (and they still came out on the burnt side)

Baby cakes and I did NOT have a good day. She is developing quite the attitude. But this picture makes me completely forget it ALL. =]


This is how they came out. Not too appealing, huh?


And flat to boot!


Crunchy for sure!


The revised recipe:

Same as above, except:
1/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. butter
2 1/2 c. flour
350 degrees
8 minutes
HAND mix as much/best you can



Here's BABY CAKES again =]


Can you see the difference this batch will make already? Look at those portions!
Creamy glory

Sorry, this was the part I used a wooden spoon. Close to hand mixing.

Combining (I just had to take pictures of all the step by step instructions- it is chocolate chip cookies you know!)

Don't those just LOOK better? Less sticky too!


Eating a cookie! That makes everyone happy!



Waiting for cookies to bake and a chocolate face! 


Don't those just look nicer? Plus they arn't crunchy, but soft and chewy! Yumm. 



RESULTS:


The finished Batches 


Side by side comparison 



Taste test!


The WINNER!!!!


Joe agreed just by the sight of them, taste only confirmed.
I gave Sariah one of the other ones, then when she saw these ones, she wouldn't eat the 'crunchy' ones anymore.



So, all in all, remember to follow these simple tips to make any chocolate chip cookie recipe better.
Half the butter
Half the white sugar (Really, just less white sugar and more brown sugar)
Double brown sugar
and more flour!

Because really, it helps to create fluffier, healthier, tastier cookies!

The end.



















3 comments:

  1. You forgot to emphasis the most important part! MIX BY HAND! Using an electric mixer just over mixes the dough and they never come out right. They end up flat and gross.

    But I love the blog post and the personal shout out to me. And of course Sariah is as cute as ever. I miss her. And you too of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks good! All in the name of science, eh? For the cookies I made growing up, I used an electric mixer once I was in college and they never turned out right! So hand mixing does make a difference. I've been told using a pastry blender/cutter is the best way to "combine, but not mix" cookie dough. And theeeeen....I just buy cookies from the store ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. a pastry blender? interesting. I will have to make some cookies tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete