Friday, October 19, 2012

Traditions: Daddy Daughter Donut Day

A few things I should mention: 

1. Like my last post, I owe credit to my sister Maureen for this one as well. She is in my life a lot....what gives? 
2. My sister is not a morning person. Being the youngest, it was always left to me to wake up my siblings if I wanted to open presents early. So, I had the tough decision- wait till 10 or later when they wake up, or make a mad dash around the house to wake them all up? It always tore me apart (until I remembered that day only came once a year and they would forgive me).
3. My dad LOVES making deals. Like, he makes deal's even when he doesn't have to- just to do so. I don't know if he realizes this, but he does. He makes deals when he loses his wallet (Whoever finds it first gets $1), how long he can stay quiet on a car trip, if he can go a day without asking his kids any questions....anything and everything is up for grabs with my dad.


Anyways, our family has a tradition. It is called:

DADDY DAUGHTER DONUT DAY

It all started when said sister (Maureen- in case you forgot), was little and went to school. She isn't much of a morning person, and was giving my mom quite the trouble to get up and ready for school. So my dad made a deal with her, that if she was good for my mom all week, on Friday- she would get a donut (see? Plus- she probably wasn't good all the time, but once he made the deal- no matter what, he will stick to his bargain if you bother him about it). 
Thus, Daddy Daughter Donut Day was made. My sister is 8 years older than me, and there is another sister between us, but for as long as I can remember and up until the day I graduated high school (That is when my dad 'retired' from this job), we went to The Golden Donut every friday for breakfast (Ok, sometimes my dad would go and drop them off before he left for work). 
Part of the time I grew up my dad worked out of town, and was gone most weeks and would come home every 2-3 weeks on the weekends only. So, my mom took up my dad's duty and took me instead. No matter what, this tradition was kept. 

I love this tradition. And it holds a lot of meaning for me. 
I love donuts, and I feel like I really can claim loving them more than anyone else, because of the bond it brings for me with my family.
(BTW- did you know that California is the #1 consumer of donuts in USA? Such an accomplishment! =])
We go so often, that the 'donut' lady at The Golden Donut knows us very well- actually, I don't think we know each others name. BUT, she knows our faces. Asks about us. She heard when graduated high school, went to college, got married, had a baby- and even gave my daughter her first donut AND a free donut. We love that place!

While we were living in Idaho, Rexburg finally got a donut shop. Paradise Donuts. It wasn't good. =/ We put up with it though, because it was the best we had (But still, really, WHO runs out of donuts in the middle of the afternoon?!?!?!).
Now, every Friday- Joe and I keep this tradition. 
We got to LeMars now (Nebraska doesn't hold the same love of Donuts California does).
But, really, LeMars is REALLY good. Everyone should try it. 
Sariah gets donut holes. 
Joe get's an old fashion.
I have no allegiance to a donut- so currently I am on their chocolate/vanilla knot. YUMM.

Traditions are important, and this is my favorite one. =]






Me with my knot donut- perfect combination of chocolate and plain/vanilla! =] 

Joe decided to switch it up today with a German Chocolate Knot. 
The happy Baby Cakes! 

The end =]










1 comment:

  1. I love your traditions. Those are the memory makers. I like how the advertisement on the bottom of your post is for a "Babycakes Donut Maker." Ha!

    ReplyDelete