Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Dehydrate that thing!


We are strong proponents of sustainability.
Whether it's zombies, end of the world, second coming, nuclear warfare, political unrest or whatever- we want to be prepared.
We enjoy watching Preppers, planning about our many acres we one day hope to have, the most affective animals- and all the things we can do to save money, be provident, and live sustainably.
This doesn't mean we are vegetarians, vegans, hippies, organic nuts, or only-live-off-the-land people. 
We love meat. We think wool is an amazing fabric choice. Joe is in AG and supports GMO's, and heck- I will die if I have to get thrown into a book of The Hunger Games.
So, we want to prepare ourselves, and be able to truly say, "I KNOW WHERE MY FOOD COMES", because hey, I grew it myself.
Our church and faith teaches about provident living, and this is really what drives us the most to this cause. But being poor college students doesn't allow us to do much sadly- especially when you are renting.

A couple months ago I went to an activity at church about provident living- which seemed to be just about food storage. At one point, a women made a comment that she didn't believe in having a large freezer- because if she ever lost electricity (for you know, more than a few hours), all that food go to waste.
WHAT??
Instantly I thought of all the things I would do with my freezer food.
Like canning the chicken.
And making jerky out of the meat.
Then I would eat all the ice cream and enjoy every last bite.

So, Joe and I talked about the things we wanted to get to be able to do more provident type things for our family more. So, for Christmas Joe got me (us really) a dehydrator! Oh, I am excited.


Currently, we have strawberries in, being dehydrated.
And I cannot wait to make jerky.
And by the way- dehydrating fruit, vegetables, or meat is cheaper than buying it.
We can also dry flowers and plants to make herbs.
You want one now, don't you?
And it is easy!
=]

Cut fruit and pre-treat. 

Layer evenly 

Get excited. =]


Cover, turn to 135 degrees F and wait 6 hours. =]


It smells amazing in our house right now. =]




5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting a dehydrator! I can't wait to hear more about it! Thank you for joining Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm completely ignorant about dehydrators, but does it just turn the fruit into fruit leather or does it preserve it or what?

    Lol in Rexburg during the winter I never stressed about a fridge/freezer going out. Pack it in the cooler, refill with snow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it can do a lot- I guess I should have explained that better. It can make fruit roll ups, but you have to prepare the fruit differently than above. Basically it turns it into like...well, dried fruit. Haha. Like banana chips, or apple chips? That is what it will due to fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom dried some pears while we were home OMG THEY WERE SO GOOD! They have an apple and a pear tree in the back yard and she's always making apple desserts and drying stuff. It's amazing how yummy it is! Good on you for getting one! I'm waiting till I have a place to put one.....and stuff to dry. LOL

    ReplyDelete