Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Let me tell you about my dog.

+This is Scout.
+She is [almost] 9 months old.
+She is a German Shorthair Pointer.
+She is of the female species.
+She is also a bird dog, which means she notices every.single.bird.we.pass. And squirrels.
+She was born in Idaho February 20th to a Mr. Triplet T's Cowboy and Mz. Sin City Bank's Dixieland Pepper.
+She is also pure bred with the papers to prove it! (Which is why I know such random, truthful things about her.)
+She has a LOT of energy.
+She can run. Fast. And forever.
+She likes to be chased. And to tease other dogs. Because she can run.
+She is the reason why a spot of our carpet smells like olive oil.
+She is also the reason why myself and a daughter and her elderly mother almost had heart attacks on Sunday.





See, we were coming home from church. But we often bring Scout with us and leave her in the kennel (so that we don't have problems with things such as olive oil...). On the way home Sariah fell asleep, and we pass by the dog park to our place, so we stopped by. Sunday was also FREEZING (which really isn't important to the story- but it was windy and cold). I got out and stayed with Scout in the dog park while Joe chilled (haha!) with the sleeping baby. While I stood around in a skirt and flats, everyone else was dressed like they were going fishing with the Eskimos. 

Anyways, so, there I was- watching Scout play with a lab/vizsla mix and another dog. I was talking to the L/V mix's owner. Apparently someone thought it was a good idea to bring empty containers of the huge gallon sized ice cream containers to the dog park for the dogs to play with?? So Scout had been thoroughly enjoying terrorizing these containers for the past week at the dog park. Well, today she found one- and since two other dogs of similar size/running ability were interested, Scout decided to turn it into a game of chase. Except the way she carried the ice cream container ended up covering her face. So she really had no clue where she was going.

Well, the L/V mix's mom's mom (does that make sense? The owner to the dog had her mom there- who, btw, was not a spring chicken. And was not a petite women either. Definitely not frail, but rather stout. Yes, stout would be the best word for her. But tall). Well, anyway, this older women (70's?) was gazing not at Scout or her direction, but across the vast expanse of dog park. 

When WHAM! Scout is yelping as she has run into something. (Funny site for a few seconds- your dog, blinded by an ice cream container, running into something and being scared because of it). 
Scout had run straight into the shins of this older lady. I thought she was just going to take a step back. But OH NO. She fell DOWN. All the way, laying on her back, in the dirt, down.
**NOTE: This is a not-quite 40 lb. dog, knocking down I assume a women about 300 lbs. That is some MAD skillz.**
She had rolled over to her side, and all the kind dogs were eagerly gathered around trying to see what she was up to.
My head started spining with thoughts like, "Oh no! What should I do? Should I run away? Kill Scout now so they can't take me to court? Abandon her and pretend I don't know her? Deny anything?Offer to pay her off for the rest of her life so she doesn't say anything? Will this women live? What if she broke her leg- we can't pay for a leg!" And on and on, my thoughts went. I was scared. I had no clue what to say. For about 5 minutes I just stood, wondering what to do. 
Finally, the owner of the L/V mix said to her mom (kudos to this women btw- never once did she sound harsh, angry, or rash. ALWAYS calm), "This dog park just isn't good to you! That's the second time!" (Instant relief).
The women was finally able to get up, and was able to...well, she didn't really laugh...but joked the best way she could....about how she has no luck at dog parks. 
All was well. She didn't even know what hit her. Literally. She had no idea which dog it was. 

So, that is the story about how we almost had a heart attack thanks to this dog.


2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! A very entertaining story; I could visualize the mayhem:) I'm glad that all ended well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside from the stories of your Primary class, I think this is the best so far!

    ReplyDelete