Thursday, November 13, 2014

Asking questions

Its 4:30 a.m. and his alarm goes off. 
It's too early. I hope he turns it off- I think he will. He is exhausted from his full day hunting yesterday. 
I forget that I need him up to get Sariahs swim suite from the church across the street where I left it the day before.
6:00 a.m. and Sariah climbs into bed with us. I look at my phone. Uhh.
"It's 6 a.m.. Wake up."
"What?" He doesn't want to believe it. 
"It's 6. Time to get up."

And the day starts. He hops in the shower, and I consider my best approach to getting out of bed. Sèamus wakes up, cries, and I consider the fast and easy approach to be my best option. We cuddle in bed, and I try to convince him sleep is awesome. He declines, so we get up and I wash the dishes. I make the kids breakfast. Cereal for Séamus, oatmeal for Sariah. They trade. I down a slim fast. Joe has a "work breakfast". Breakfast done.
Somehow 90 minutes flies by and Joe is already late, leaving at 7:35- just in time to hit "rush hour" in a town of 15,000 people.
Suddenly I remember Sariahs lack of swim suite. We volunteer in an hour and have a play date to swim right after. 
We leave and head to the store. The California girl in me thinks I can find a toddler swimsuite in cold country in the middle of November. After a snow storm  that left 3" of snow that threatens to never leave till next Spring. I thought I would find a swimsuite. At 8 a.m.
No luck. No hope. 
Today I miss California.

People out here hate California. They think the stereotypes are all true and we have huge egos and bloated heads and all live in LA. They don't realize that this proud, born & raised California girl lived in the biggest city of my life in Nebraska. That I strive in the open, outside world and not shopping. It has its political problems, water problems, but I miss California.

We get to our volunteer site 15 min late. My temporary replacement smiles when I sigh "it's one of those days", and laughs at my attempt to find a swim suit in November. 
I made someone laugh today. My day is better.

We play and volunteer. The time goes by and I find a loaner swim suite to use for Sariah. She loves the water, swimming around as if she were Ariel the little mermaid. Séamys stayed at the edge of the water, lightly splashing- playing just enough to make it worth my hassle to get him in swim trunks.

The real kicker? Both kids pooped. I now know swim diapers work.
I also know that when you are in a clean pool and it starts looking murky, start finding answers. And whnr you friend comments on floaties in the water- demand answers.

We left the pool and continued on with our day- the sun blinding us. I hadn't realized how much I missed it, or how long it had been since I had seen it. 


The end.






0 comments:

Post a Comment