Friday, February 15, 2013

MATCHED

Hey there everyone. I am still feeling off my game in the blogging world. I want to create something, and I think once I do I will feel more me. But, until then, today, I am gonna talk about a book.

Matched.
Via


I have been hearing about this book a lot lately, and have been very eager to read it. I love dystopian society books. But it was taking forever to get it from our library. Then, one day at Barnes & Noble, I remembered I had a gift card. Day made.

I went into it thinking it would be like The Hunger Games, and I tried really hard not to hold that against the book. Really quickly, I realized it isn't like The Hunger Games at all (well, not much). It actually reminded me a lot of a more adult version of The Giver (great book).

But even with that huge similarity, I was able to enjoy the book. I mean, it was a very creative idea and a good story. And I am excited to get the next book- Crossed, and start reading it.

But ultimately, I was a bit disappointed. Mostly I was disappointed with how it ended- I mean, I know the book is a trilogy, so there a lot more is going to happen- but I felt like the first book ended in a way where you can pretty much guess what is going to happen in the rest of the book. I remember reading through it very fast, but once I reached about the last twenty pages I just wanted to put the book down and not read anymore- you could just see where it was going, and it lost its suspense.

There were a few other things about the book as well, I felt more emotion and story line needed to be added, but overall I liked the story idea. I felt it was fun and light hearted. It isn't as intense as say, The Hunger Games, which makes it more appropriate to read for younger readers, but a bit more dull for an older audience (although, it is a YA novel). The idea was good and I felt like once you got half way through, things started making sense- but with added vocabulary, it was a bit frustrating in the beginning.

I am not trying to say this is a bad book- like I said, I am actually really excited to read the next two novels and see what happens, and I do have really good hopes that it will get more suspenseful. I guess I was just brought down by the ending. And as I remember in school, everyone will always remember the beginning and end.


Overall, I would recommend it. Especially if you like books such as 1984, The Hunger Games, or The Giver. It is a good book for kids I would say age (ish) 12+ to read, and is really clean. So, go for it!




=]

1 comment:

  1. I feel like we've already talked about this book... but that have been a different blog! I enjoyed the first two, but I just can't bring myself to read the third. I just CAN'T TAKE sad endings/ plot twists anymore... I don't have the emotional capacity! The second one is much more serious.
    Random note: Birthmarked is similar to this series and is also pretty good, but if you want a really good fantasy (in my opinion) read POISON STUDY. Awwww I'm still DROOLING over that good of a read. :)

    ReplyDelete